Skip to main content

Dear Neon Beast,

Where do I begin?
I remember the minute I saw you after Veera Valimaki posted the pattern.
I was in love.
How could I not be?
Stripes, clever short row shaping, big bold blocks of color.
Not to mention neon. 

I knew immediately that I had to make you.
I had to make you asap.
I knew what yarn I needed.
Nothing would do but to make you in the Purl Soho Line Weight Merino in Super Pink, Yellow Yellow and Oyster.


Mom traveled to New York.
I begged (not very hard) her to go and buy the yarn for me at the Purl Soho shop.
A week later it arrived.
I didn't start you right away.
I couldn't you see, I had a few other things on the needles, a two week vacation to Hawaii on the horizon that needed packing, and two dogs that needed to get booked into a kennel.

When we got home though, I wound up all three beautiful skeins, packed you in my weekend bag and off we went for a weekend in Leavenworth where I finally cast you on.


We worked well together thru the fall.

We went to Langley together to the knitting retreat.


Lots of people touched you.
Said how beautiful you were.
You are beautiful. You are soft. You have just a hint of a halo.

You are perfection.

I can't really explain what happened after that.
The holiday's most likely.
You got set aside, zipped up in your own little bag and tucked away.
I could see you, over there in the project bowl.
Patiently waiting for me to come back to you, maybe sending out little vibes of guilt.
'Why would you set me aside? We're so close to being done'

Then the MochiMochi Snowman Garland happened.
More projects happened.
Yet there you sat. Patiently.
Getting shoved aside as I looked for something I needed for another project.

You suffered the injustice of having to giving up your needles so I could use them on another project.
Which is beautiful as well.
The two of you will look wonderful this fall, winter, next spring.

I finished the project that I stole your needles for and have been restless for another project.
I've cast one a dozen things,
Picked up a dozen things that are in the works. and knit a bit on them.
Nothing.
I just felt nothing.

Then yesterday I saw you from across the room, waiting for me, in the project bowl.
I reclaimed your needles from the finished project.
Screwed them back on.
Told the dogs their dinner would have to wait. 
Figured out where we had left off and went to work.

grumpy dog obviously starving to death

Joy.
Nothing but joy and happiness and the desire to knit on you thru the night.
Just the two of us.
Happily moving along towards the finish line.


You were so good.
So patient.

I'm sorry I abandoned you for so long.

Sincerely,
Carmel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Knitter Down...I Repeat, We Have a Knitter Down...

It's probably not that dramatic, well maybe it is, who can say for sure....but I can say this, right now from my elbow to my wrist is some gnarly pain that was flared last night after knitting 6 rows of the Shawl...SIX ROWS and then WHAMMO! so much pain. This isn't the first day I've had this, I've actually been ignoring for a few days ...okay, I've been ignoring it for a couple weeks but this is the worst it's been...So, I've made inquiries as to which doctor to see and am waiting to hear back to make an appointment...while I wait ice packs, and copious amounts of pain meds (don't worry by copius I really mean, recommended daily dose) are being taken with the shedding of a few tears while I fondle my knitting... stay tuned...this can't possibly last forever xoxoxo c. p.s. Fati...don't worry I have a plan if this whole wrist issues blows out of control...

W.I.P

Bears Barn Owl. We had a hockey game last night and while I'm normally so wrapped up in the game that I don't have time to knit, that was not the case last night. Silvertips have had a rough go and the Red Deer Rebels really wolloped them last night. So I knit. I ate some dingleberries. Delicious. and I knit some more. I have a feeling I'll be finishing this bad boy up by tomorrow and he'll be the star of the retreat. Isn't his color wonderful?

The countdown...

The Elbow has taken things a little to far. After three cortisone shots, icing, and squeezing exercises, it's just not behaving... Tuesday I went into the MRI tube do the Doc H. Could get a good look at what's going on...wear and tear is what's going on and it's only getting worse.. I can keep getting shots of cortisone but eventually they'll stop being as effective. Surgery will be the best option. That's right. SURGERY Wanna know the worst part? Recovery can take up to five months Five Months 5 FIVE months of no knitting... . . . I'll give you a second to get up off the floor... . . . You read that again didn't you? . . . my friend MzKimba has graciously offered to take care of my stash. However I think I'll just pack it all up and store it somewhere safe till I get the all clear from Doc H. Now all this being said, I have projects that need to be completed, so I'm going to try and schedule the surgery for som