Skip to main content

For the Love of Swatch!


Swatching is an important tool in the knitters arsenal.
It's not terribly difficult. I mean, you already know how to knit so you're good there.
It gives us a ton of information before we start a project, such as;

1. Gauge: You'll know immediately if your gauge is too loose (project will be way to big), too tight (project will be too small) or spot on (perfect fit = happy knitter)

2. You get a chance to play with the yarn for your project. You know if it feels good to knit with, does it split? Does it glide over the needles or stick like Aunt May's toffee to the roof of your mouth.

3. It takes a minimal amount of yarn from your project to crack out a 4x4 swatch. If you run out of yarn at the end of your project then any number of things happened.
     a. Your swatch is too big.
     b. You thought you were spot on with your gauge but probably shouldn't have checked it after that third glass of wine.
     c. You miscalculated how much yarn you needed for the project. (rookie mistake, always buy an extra skein, it's like extra life insurance on your spouse)

4. If you swatch consistently and do it *correctly. You will eventually end up with quite a rogue collection of knit coasters to pass out at parties.

I hate swatching.
I never swatch before a project.
I'm more of a dive headlong into the project, my **gauge is always perfect kind of girl.
This has burned me in the past.

But I still never swatch.
If the sweater doesn't fit me, it'll fit someone right?

Hat too small? No worries, I know some little ones who wear hats all the time.

I did discover last night though, as I wound up the skein for my next project....

I will swatch if I have to knit sleeves.

Those f'ing sleeves.

Bring me all the swatching!


Happy Hump Day!

*Correct gauge swatch is: Knit the swatch in pattern if specified. Bind off. Weave in the tails. Block and dry it. Then measure. The last step is key, or so I've been told.

**My gauge is rarely perfect.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Knitter Down...I Repeat, We Have a Knitter Down...

It's probably not that dramatic, well maybe it is, who can say for sure....but I can say this, right now from my elbow to my wrist is some gnarly pain that was flared last night after knitting 6 rows of the Shawl...SIX ROWS and then WHAMMO! so much pain. This isn't the first day I've had this, I've actually been ignoring for a few days ...okay, I've been ignoring it for a couple weeks but this is the worst it's been...So, I've made inquiries as to which doctor to see and am waiting to hear back to make an appointment...while I wait ice packs, and copious amounts of pain meds (don't worry by copius I really mean, recommended daily dose) are being taken with the shedding of a few tears while I fondle my knitting... stay tuned...this can't possibly last forever xoxoxo c. p.s. Fati...don't worry I have a plan if this whole wrist issues blows out of control...

W.I.P

Bears Barn Owl. We had a hockey game last night and while I'm normally so wrapped up in the game that I don't have time to knit, that was not the case last night. Silvertips have had a rough go and the Red Deer Rebels really wolloped them last night. So I knit. I ate some dingleberries. Delicious. and I knit some more. I have a feeling I'll be finishing this bad boy up by tomorrow and he'll be the star of the retreat. Isn't his color wonderful?

The countdown...

The Elbow has taken things a little to far. After three cortisone shots, icing, and squeezing exercises, it's just not behaving... Tuesday I went into the MRI tube do the Doc H. Could get a good look at what's going on...wear and tear is what's going on and it's only getting worse.. I can keep getting shots of cortisone but eventually they'll stop being as effective. Surgery will be the best option. That's right. SURGERY Wanna know the worst part? Recovery can take up to five months Five Months 5 FIVE months of no knitting... . . . I'll give you a second to get up off the floor... . . . You read that again didn't you? . . . my friend MzKimba has graciously offered to take care of my stash. However I think I'll just pack it all up and store it somewhere safe till I get the all clear from Doc H. Now all this being said, I have projects that need to be completed, so I'm going to try and schedule the surgery for som