Skip to main content

New Year New Me New blah blah blah

I gave up resolutions years ago.
Too much pressure for a girl who's whims change almost hourly some days.
Instead I try to challenge myself to new things. That way if they aren't for me I can nix them instead of beating myself up for sleeping an extra hour and not hauling my arse out of bed to do meditation and sun salutations.

If I'm asleep, isn't that a pretty good sign of excellent meditation?
Maybe not to the masters but it's restorative enough for me.

So back to challenges and trying new things.

This year I have decided to throw down and really challenge myself to something huge.

In my mind it's huge.

For some of you it will probably seem like a walk in the park.

For me it feels like a walk in the park, with a cat on a leash who does not want to be on the leash so it lays flat on the ground, and a pack of rabid dogs showing up.

If that clue wasn't enough for you to guess what I'm talking about I'll tell you...

Circular Shawls.

*shudder*

Knit from the middle out.
A vast vortex of lace and stitch counts, charts at weird angles and then the idea of blocking it at the end...

But I love the look of them.
I think I'm a competent enough knitter to pull it off.
So my challenge to myself this year is to knit a circular shawl.

Of course I'm not going completely off the deep end of the knitters ledge and doing a lace weight cacophony of doily lace stitches with a wave picot edge.

I chose a pattern that calls for worsted weight and will work as a throw on the back of my couch...

I'm giving myself a year to do it in.
I've chosen the yarn, I just need to order it.
I have the needles although by the time I reach the final round I'll need a 100" cable for my interchangeables.

Probably a slug of vodka as well to ease into the bind off...

I'm going to knit Tree Rings by Andrea Ragnel

I'm going to use Cascade 220 in VanDyke Brown.

I've admired this one since it was released in 2013.

Stay tuned.

Happy New Year.

Americas Knitting is starting a new knit-a-long today!
It goes for one month.
We are knitting patterns of our own choosing from the Tin Can Knits vast collection of patterns.
Come and join us!

Comments

Pamela said…
Good Luck Carmel! I started a circular blanket for my grandson and am a little better than half way through. It's just a basic - with no lace - in Cascade Springtime colorway, but I want to put a Wasabi border of leaves around the edge. It is laughing at me right now from my perch in the living room. Good luck! It is a beautiful look (and luckily I am making it for a toddler, not a baby) and totally mindless knitting, so I don't mind it too much. I'm glad to cheer you on!
Marta Maxwell said…
It is stunning! Go for it!

Popular posts from this blog

W.I.P

Bears Barn Owl. We had a hockey game last night and while I'm normally so wrapped up in the game that I don't have time to knit, that was not the case last night. Silvertips have had a rough go and the Red Deer Rebels really wolloped them last night. So I knit. I ate some dingleberries. Delicious. and I knit some more. I have a feeling I'll be finishing this bad boy up by tomorrow and he'll be the star of the retreat. Isn't his color wonderful?

Knitter Down...I Repeat, We Have a Knitter Down...

It's probably not that dramatic, well maybe it is, who can say for sure....but I can say this, right now from my elbow to my wrist is some gnarly pain that was flared last night after knitting 6 rows of the Shawl...SIX ROWS and then WHAMMO! so much pain. This isn't the first day I've had this, I've actually been ignoring for a few days ...okay, I've been ignoring it for a couple weeks but this is the worst it's been...So, I've made inquiries as to which doctor to see and am waiting to hear back to make an appointment...while I wait ice packs, and copious amounts of pain meds (don't worry by copius I really mean, recommended daily dose) are being taken with the shedding of a few tears while I fondle my knitting... stay tuned...this can't possibly last forever xoxoxo c. p.s. Fati...don't worry I have a plan if this whole wrist issues blows out of control...

24 Hours

I don't even really know how to tell you about our last weekend. We took a trip that lasted less than 24 hours from start to finish. Saturday morning we left our home at 8:30 a.m. with our friends and we caught a train to Portland, Oregon. We were going to watch our hockey team play against the Portland Winterhawks. It's important to note that Friday Portland and areas far south of Tacoma Washington were hit with a snow storm. But, we were taking the train so we weren't super concerned. I packed extra knit items and warm clothes just in case we needed it. Boy did we need it! As soon as we got out of the train station we snagged the first cab we saw and made it thru the snow covered streets to our hotel. Which was a short walk from Memorial Coliseum where the game was being played that night. Checked in, changed our clothes into our team colors, and headed out to walk around a bit and find some pub grub... That's when we realized we were in the m